Knee pain can affect us at any stage in our lives Here are some common causes:
- Osteoarthritis: This is the most common of knee pain and is caused by wear and tear of the cartilage in the joint. Symptoms include swelling, stiffness, and difficulty moving the joint.
- ACL Injury: The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of four major ligaments that provide stability to the knee joint. When it is torn or strained, pain and swelling can occur.
- Bursitis: This is an inflammation of the bursae, which are small sacs filled with fluid that cushion the knee joint from friction and pressure when you move it. It usually occurs due to overuse and can cause pain when walking or standing for long periods.
- Meniscus Tears: The meniscus is a cartilage-like disc that sits between the thigh and shin bones in the knee joint. When it tears, swelling and pain can occur.
- Patellofemoral Syndrome: This condition occurs when the kneecap or patella does not track properly as it slides up and down the thighbone. This can cause pain when you move your knee, as well as clicking and popping sounds.
- Tendonitis: This is an inflammation of the tendons that connect muscle to bone around the knee joint and can be caused by overuse or sudden movements. Symptoms include swelling, tenderness, and difficulty moving the joint.