Plantar fasciitis is typically more common in people over the age of forty. Let’s look at the most common causes:
- Overuse: Too much strenuous activity or exercise can cause the plantar fascia to become inflamed and irritated.
- Poor foot bio-mechanics: Foot problems such as flat feet, high arches, overpronation, or an abnormal walking gait can place increased strain on the plantar fascia resulting in inflammation.
- Age: With age, the plantar fascia can become more likely to tear or suffer from inflammation due to a decrease in elasticity.
- Weight: Excess weight places increased strain on the entire body, including the feet which can lead to damage of the plantar fascia.
- Improper footwear: Wearing shoes that do not provide proper support or are worn out can place additional strain on the plantar fascia.
- Hard surfaces: Walking or running on hard surfaces such as concrete or asphalt can place increased strain on the feet and plantar fascia.